RE: Spinon filter adapters

To: "Larry Colen" <lrcar@red4est.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Spinon filter adapters
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 08:51:07 -0800
I don't see any reason why a spinon adapter, that puts the oil filter
in the same place as the cannister style filter would not work on an
alternator equipped car.

Larry & Barney:

The coincidence gets deeper, as I just noticed the text in the Moss catalog the
other day.  Barney is correct, fitting the filter adapter has nothing to do
with the alternator.  The later pre-engaged starters are longer than the
earlier units and can interfere with many filters.  There are narrower filters
that could be used, or the adapter works well if you have one of the
replacement gear reduction starters.

I am not a fan of the original hang down spin on filter adapter, but do like
the after-market one which keeps the filter close to the block.

If a B is fitted with a cross flow head, a neat trick is to install the gear
reduction starter and Spin On oil filter adapter, which allows much easier
access to the oil filter.

I'll get the text in the catalog changed to reflect the more correct
application.

Kelvin.