Main Bearings Torque

Subject: Main Bearings Torque
From: "Ross Bateman" <ross@rcsa.co.za>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 15:14:36 +0200
Hi

I finally found a few hours this afternoon to start putting the B's engine
back together.
Put the main bearings and thrust washers in and then started torquing the
caps down.

In the workshop manual they saay you should test for exsessive stiffness.
I torqued the front and rear caps down to 70 lbs / foot and the crank would
not budge.
By excessive stiffness, do they mean you should be able to turn the cranck
by hand when the caps are torqued?

I find it strange that I am having this problem as the crank was ground so I
thought if anything there would be to much movement.

So is 70 the correct torque setting and should it be hand movement on the
crank?

Thanks,

Ross