Re: MGA VIN question

To: "Paul M." <rowman22001@yahoo.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGA VIN question
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@MGAguru.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 09:54:46 -0600
At 05:12 AM 11/22/03 -0800, Paul Misencik wrote:
>Does anyone know of a good way to look up MGA VIN and/or engine numbers?

"Original MGA" by Anders Ditlev Clausager gives the format of the MGA Car
Numbers.  This book also breaks down production changes by car number and date.

>I have an MGA VIN and engine number, and I need to know what year the car
>is, etc.  Also, what do the prefix letters on the MGA VIN #s mean?

Answered by prior correspondent.

>The VIN of this car is GHNL/82671 and I think that makes it either a 1960
>or 1961, but I can't tell for sure...

According to Clausager, your car was built in December 1959, in between a
new type sun visor on the Coupe (82749) and the change of halfshaft splines
(82749 for wire whees and 82892 for disk wheels).  So your car should most
likely have been titled as a 1960 model.  In those days the cars were
commonly titled at the time of first consumer sale.  If it sat on a
dealer's lot long enough it could conceivably have been titled in 1961.

>The engine number is 16GA-U-13896  ....

That also jives with December 1959 production.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com