RE: Original Prices of MGs

To: "'MG List'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Original Prices of MGs
From: "Roger Los" <roger@los.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 11:04:48 -0800
Max wrote:

~ Man, that guy took a bath on the Alpine -- it probably cost
~ more than the B to begin with, and wasn't even a year old.
~ Probably was hoping for a big performance jump moving up to
~ 1800cc. I wonder if he was satisfied, or if he traded it in
~ on a TR4 the next year... <g>

I thought the same thing about the trade-in. The Sunbeam must not have been a
very satisfying car...though I've driven Alpines, and
they seem like nice enough machines.

I'm only the fourth owner of this car. The first owner kept it until '73 (I
guess Triumphs weren't his thing :) ), gave it to his
son, who then sold it to his dad's best friend in '75, who kept it until I
bought it three years ago.

I have all of the paper for the car (plus its original California black
plates), including innumerable receipts from the dealer for
$2 lube jobs, one every 1,000 miles. He even kept the instructions for the "MG
Mitten" car cover and the altimeter (!) he installed
in 1965, which is still installed--perhaps as useless a gauge as I've ever run
across in a car.

Roger Los