steering column bushings

To: "mgs" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: steering column bushings
From: "James Nazarian" <jhn3@uakron.edu>
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 01:04:50 -0500
I don't know how many have ever pulled apart one of the collapsible columns
that were found in the 70s CBBs but I am looking for an internal part for
one.  Inside the column are two double D shafts, there is one attached to
the steering wheel that is hollow, and a solid one attached to the U-joint
that slips into the hollow shaft.  At two places on the solid shaft, it is
turned down and there are two, double D shaped plastic or nylon bushings to
take up the slop between the two shafts.  When I rebuilt the column I
separated these shafts; the bushings were worn out, and disintegrated once
the shafts were separated.

The fact that they are gone isn't a show stopper, but I have about 15
degrees of slop between the steering wheel and u-joint due to the lack of
these bushings.  Also, when I hit bumps, the column squeaks as these two
shafts are riding metal to metal.  Unfortunately, due to their shape, I
can't machine new ones, though I may be able to hand carve them if it ever
comes to that.  Moss doesn't list these bushings, as I imagine there isn't
much need for them...

...but does anyone have a source for replacement bushings?  I'd love to take
that slop out, and clear up what is just about the only squeak or rattle in
the whole car.

Thanks,
James Nazarian
71 MGB Tourer