speedo jumping

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: speedo jumping
From: ATWEDITOR@aol.com
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 09:08:31 -0500
Gordie wrote:

"Rather, I will be trying dri-slide upon reassembly of my A as the speedo
needle has done some jumping around since I greased it some years ago."

Well, it might have been caused by the cable catching in the housing, or it
might have been caused by some lubricant migrating into the instrument.  I've
had both situations, although in the cable catching situation it was not caused
by dirty lubricant.  The housing was completely dry, and only after I cleaned
the cable and put on a light coating of lithium grease (to withstand moisture
better, just like in the window mechanisms) did it smooth out.  Perhaps
dri-slide is a better choice, but I have no experience one way or the other.
As for lubricant in the speedo, it dosen't take much to make that puppy swing
around madly.

Jay Donoghue
72B-GT
66 Mustang