RE: Motor Preservation

To: "Max Heim" <mvheim@studiolimage.com>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Motor Preservation
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 12:25:53 -0800
Max:

Most cars don't like sitting unused for any length of time which is why
rotating the engine once in a while is always recomended.

I had a couple of stored engines seize solid during storage and one destroyed
by water damage, so I tend to be pretty conservative now.  Somehow a short time
of inactivity turns into years stashed away at the back of the shop.

I prepped the last batch of short blocks just before moving back in 1995, they
have been in a rented storage area since then under a row of sagging shelving.
I broke one out about a couple of years ago to use as a mockup for the MGB
supercharger kit.  In fact if anyone is interested by this point, that block is
the one on the engine stand pictured in the Summer British Motoring blurb on
the kit.

Kelvin.