Re: Wire wheels - Theft Prevention?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Wire wheels - Theft Prevention?
From: Glenn Schnittke <schnittke@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 20:50:17 -0800
>Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2003 16:32:05 -0800
>From: Barrie Robinson <barrier@bconnex.net>
>Subject: Wire wheels - Theft Prevention?
>

>Is there anyway to protect wire wheels against theft other than tying a
>huge dog to each wheel?
>

>Regards
>Barrie
>

>Barrie Robinson
>barrier@bconnex.net

Barrie,

I tend to agree with most of the other replies with the guarded exception
of Rocky's which is more remedial than preventative.

It's my experience that there seems to be a golden aura of goodness and
light that will surround just about any ragtop or classic car, with a few
distinct exceptions. Corvettes seem to elude the heavenly protection
somehow, as well as BMW's. There are a few others. I have found that, after
fifteen years of driving an MG daily to work and parking in dicey areas
(but mostly downtown covered lots with occasional downtown uncovered and
street spots thrown in), the bad boys tend to leave us alone. In fifteen
years I have had one parking lot ticket lifted. On my two former cars, the
heaters were good enough that I drove to work with the windows down in the
dead of winter and left them that way when parked under cover. I figured,
why piss them off? I can't lock my doors and if I could it would be easier
to pull the window back and unlock it from the inside than to try to jimmy
it. If I did lock them they would just slice the top. Five bills for a new
top against anything I would leave in the car? Not much choice.

I'm not saying that God should be your only insurance policy, but you have
to give credit to the street sense of your average creep. They are
basically looking for liquid assets. Even chrome wires on our cars aren't
transferable to very many other cars, so where are they going to sell them?

If you happen to live in a bad neighborhood that might be a different
story. Keeping a close eye on the car or keeping it inside a fence would
work. The aforementioned dog tied to each wheel would go a long way, but
you do have to feed them once every week or so. The sound of a round being
chambered is also quite familiar to most theives. It wouldn't matter what
the caliber - as long as it's loud. For some reason the sound of a
pump-action shot gun being chambered is louder than a double being closed.
Shame, that...

Glenn
Glenn Schnittke
Outgoing VP - Tennsessee Spokes Sports Car Club
schnittke@mindspring.com
'67 B (my daily driver)
'71 XJ6 Series I (Jeanette's daily driver)
dead '69 B