Re: Hub Assembly not seating right

To: "Bert Ljungstrom" <ljungstrom@sympatico.ca>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Hub Assembly not seating right
From: "Paul Hunt \(T\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2004 10:38:37 -0000
This job isn't 'easy', it takes care and patience to get the shims (as
others have mentioned) right.  With no shims or spacer tube tightening the
hub nut clamps up the bearings and takes out all play.  It would take
*excessive* shimming to result in too much end-float and hence the hub
sagging on the stub axle.  If tightening *did* seat the bearings better,
then backing off again would make the hub sag even more.  You should first
lightly clamp the bearings *without* shims until they just bind to properly
seat them, then juggle shims until you have .002" to .004" of end-float or
play in the hub.  If you have a dial gauge all well and good, but without
you have to adopt some other method of judging clearance.  I juggle shims
until I end up with one set that gives no play but no binding in the
bearings, and another set just .001 thicker that give barely perceptible
play.  Then I use the lower set with an additional .003 (the thinnest) shim.
It is much easier to do this job *before* you pack the bearings with grease.
The hub nut should be tightened to 40ftlb, then on to the next split-pin
hole, which should be before 70ftlb.  In my experience changing bearings has
*not* required different shims, but different stub axle, spacer tube or hub
has.

More info at http://www.mgb-stuff.org.uk/wn_suspensionframe.htm and click on
'Front bearing end-float'.

PaulH.