Re: MGA Body Rust

To: William T Snyder <wtsnyder@juno.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGA Body Rust
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@MGAguru.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 23:38:14 -0600
At 01:26 PM 1/11/04 -0500, William T Snyder wrote:
>An MGA I am examining for possible purchase has its primary rust on and
>along the beading where the front and rear fenders attach to the remainder
>of the body. The car seems solid in the other MGA problem areas. How
>difficult is it to remove the fenders, deal with this type of rust and
>replace the panels with proper appearance and alignment?

Find a generous amount of of MGA body restoration information linked here:
http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/restore/restore.htm

MGA body sills are almost always more rusty than they appear before
disassembly, and are a general PITA to repair or replace.  Any MGA body
that has never been off the frame since it left the factory deserves to be
pulled off for painting and preservation work.  After 40+ years there is
most commonly little or no paint left underneath, and lots of surface rust
(or major cancer) which will only get worse with time.  The MGA body sill
is an assembly of three pieces of sheet metal, of which only the outside
surfaces were originally painted.  For the other 4 hidden and unpainted
surfaces, many will be much rustier than you might imagine (maybe even absent).

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com