Re: oil cooler leak

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: oil cooler leak
From: MGBnutt@aol.com
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 10:16:04 EST
Teflon tape won't melt.  If your concerned about the heat though, there is
high temp Teflon tape (I think it is red in color) used for steam fittings, hot
water pipes, etc.

I've used pipe joint compound (pipe dope) on my MGB intake/exhaust manifold
with success.  It's a high quality compound containing Teflon and suitable for
high-temp applications.  Most of the better compounds work over a wide
temperature/pressure range and are oil/gas resistant and non-hardening.

For the oil cooler lines I'd try the Teflon tape first because it's less
messy and then move on to the joint compound if the tape doesn't work.
Good luck!
donny v
1978 MGB

In a message dated 1/16/2004 3:04:41 PM Eastern Standard Time,
rock@rocky-frisco.com writes:
>> Teflon tape- hmmm dontcha think it might melt? or turn to GOO.
Loctite of some kind or perhaps Plumbers pipe dope is my choice  if i
were to try and repair it.  Now if that wouldnt work, time for JB weld LOL.