Re: XPAG camshaft & lifters

To: Gene Gillam <anngene@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: XPAG camshaft & lifters
From: Bud Krueger <budkrueger@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 13:50:34 -0500
The extra 'quality assurance' steps are fine, but they don't relate to
the problem (?) pointed out in TSO.  It indicates that, even with
perfect tappets, the design is such as to allow improper lubrication for
the lobes on a modern camshaft with the larger lobe base circle.
Nowhere in the Moss paper does it mention the 'oil hole' issue.  Is it
really a problem?

  About a year ago I installed a new camshaft when rebuilding my
engine.  The camshaft (Moss 451-260), purchased from JustBrits,  is the
Crane camshaft with the larger lobe base circle.  I automatically
installed a new set of tappets (Moss 433-308) that I bought from Skip
Kelsey.  Knowing Skip, I doubt very seriously that I will be
experiencing any manufacturing issue problems with the tappets. Can one
buy a new camshaft for an XPAG that still uses the small cam circle?
Not from Crane.

Bud Krueger
52TD