Re: Dead 1974 MGB - Quiz

To: "Christian, Wellner L. CIV COMNAVAIRSYSCOMPATUXENTRIVERMD AIR
Subject: Re: Dead 1974 MGB - Quiz
From: Hans Duinhoven <h.duinhoven@planet.nl>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 19:53:24 +0100
I'd opt for
defect advance mechanism or
a faulty capacitor.

Curious....

Cheers,

Hans

----- Original Message -----
From: "Christian, Wellner L. CIV COMNAVAIRSYSCOMPATUXENTRIVERMD AIR 4.1.1.4"
<wellner.christian@navy.mil>
To: "MG Digest (E-mail)" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Sent: Wednesday, January 21, 2004 2:30 PM
Subject: Dead 1974 MGB - Quiz

> Group,
>
> Your British car quiz for the day.  Only a British car could do this !!
> My 1974 MGB died the other day.  I was cruising at about 4200 RPM -
running perfect.  When I slowed down the car died and would not re-start.
Here's the details.
> Above approx 4000 RPM - Ran perfect, no miss, good power.
> Below approx 3500 RPM - Absolutely no run.  Acted like someone turned off
the key.
> Once died would not re-start (either hot or cold).  Cranking speed
perfect.  No evidence of any cylinders firing while cranking.
> Would start using ether (hot or cold).  But no run below approx 3500 RPM.
> I finally found the problem and fixed it.  After stewing over it for three
days, I could only come up with two things that could cause this problem.
After fixing the car, I realized that there is really only one thing it
could have been (IMHO).
> Anyone want to take a shot ???  I'll post what fixed it in a few days.
> Kelvin, are you there & brave enough ??

above approx 4000 RPM and not run al all below approx 3500 RPM and be
repeatable ??