Re: Timing Cover Oil Seal

To: "Steve Piepenbrink" <mgbyellow@netzero.net>,
Subject: Re: Timing Cover Oil Seal
From: "Jim Leach" <leachsr@idirect.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 11:21:50 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Piepenbrink" AM
Subject: Timing Cover Oil Seal

.  I don't have the tool, what is used for getting the seal centered
> properly?

grease up the crank pulley boss and slip the pulley into the seal.
make sure all the keys are in place on the crankshaft.
I use "Right Stuff" to hold the gasket on  the block  and  more on the back
of the timing case.
use the crank pulley as the alignment tool by slipping the timing case and
pulley onto the crankshaft
do up the case bolts finger tight, crank the engine over a couple turns by
hand and then tighten the case bolts.
Tighten the pulley.

re the tranny, if it's the rear seal I know some guys have done it in place.
easiest way to do the front seal is take out the engine and tranny. That way
you can replace the clutch and rear main engine seal at the same time
HTH
Jim L