Re: Replacing the heater core

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Replacing the heater core
From: Matt Trebelhorn <matt.lists@trebelhorn.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 08:29:18 -0500
Yeah, I didn't think I could have been the only one.  It's not
necessarily recommended procedure, but you can do it without pulling
the heater box from the car.

Just release the spring clips around the outside, and pull the cover
forwards to about a 45 degree angle.  That gives enough clearance to
pull the heater core -- I replaced mine with this method.  I'm sure if
I pull the heater box at some later date, I'd be able to tell that the
cover has been manhandled.  But in place, it looks just fine.

Even if you bend it, the bend is likely to be down at the base, where
it disappears into the bodyshell -- hidden behind the wiring loom, the
fuel line, the clutch hydraulic line...

inelegantly,
Matt