British Car Week - Spring Wakeup

To: "MGB-V8" <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>, "MG-mmm" <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>,
Subject: British Car Week - Spring Wakeup
From: <BritCarWeek@arczip.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 12:04:34 -0500
Hello British car fans!

This is a pre-spring wakeup call for all British car drivers. I'm writing this
letter to let you all know that the 8th Annual British Car Week is alive and
well, especially if you enjoy anything having to do with British cars! Yes
that's right, if you happen to be one of the fortunate people who enjoys the
British car hobby and proudly maintains and drives a classic British car of
any make, model, or year, you have exactly what it takes to be a part of this
heightened awareness week. You're already an important part of the British car
hobby, and WE NEED YOU to help spread awareness of these truly awesome
machines.

No, there are no special Hallmark cards to send to your friends and relatives,
and you probably won't see it printed on the calendar hanging in your kitchen,
but hopefully any one of your British car clubs has been actively supporting
this once per year event. They (the club staff) are capable of helping spread
the word to large numbers by posting the information in their newsletters or
Internet web sites, and their help is essential to the wellness of our aging
hobby. By celebrating the Eighth Annual British Car "Drivers" Week throughout
the roads and byways of your community, no matter where you live, you are
helping to spread awareness of these historic machines.

This year we are celebrating the eighth driving season since columnist Peter
Egan of Road & Track Magazine asked a question to his readers in an article
titled "Seldom Seen Cars" - why doesn't he see classic sports cars on the
roads anymore? This question was passed from computer to computer server to
many other computers via the Internet, and echoed throughout the vast number
of British car communications avenues. British car hobbyists from all over the
world quickly came to the calling of the author's plea. As an impressive team
effort, each of those people did what they could to help increase awareness of
our cars. Letters were written, dates were posted in club newsletters, and
within a very short time, people from all over the world were driving their
British cars in their communities to help remind their locals that old classic
British cars are still eagerly entertaining their drivers after all these
years. As a result of all this, British Car Week was born!

In my own home town, I not only see an increase of British cars on the roads
during British Car Week, but I've also noticed an increase of other European
marque's tooling around as well. Is this due to my active imagination or are
other clubs doing the same? I surely hope they are, and I am going to make
sure that my own British car is proudly representing the British car hobby. A
little bit of competition is good, and this kind of thing will certainly help
percolate the enthusiasm of those who might have a project in the works. I
know from my own experience that when I see another classic car on the road,
whether it's French, Italian, American, or German, it provides me with the
enthusiasm we all relish. This much needed enthusiasm fuels the driving force
needed to keep our cars on the road instead of rotting away in a dark corner.

If any of you belong to a club that isn't aware of British Car Week, or isn't
actively partaking in this fulfilling annual event, please remind them and
reassure them of how important it is to join forces and help spread the word.
Whether it's a drive around the block or an enjoyable day drive to the
country, or better yet planning a joyful drive with a group of your British
car club friends, it is an opportunity for some unsuspecting someone to
experience one of these unique and "seldom seen" automobiles from the past. If
it sparks an interest, which I know it will, any number of people may someday
buy a British car to maintain and enjoy on a regular basis. They will also
most likely join a club, buy some parts, book, magazine, regalia, and any
number of items that we sometimes take for granted. They will ultimately
become a valuable part of our hobby, helping to assure the continued support
and the preservation of our special cars.

Hopefully when Peter Egan looks out his window during this May 22 to 30, 2004
he will notice something different in his own neighborhood. Who knows, maybe
he's going to be joining forces with the rest of us to celebrate British Car
Week!

So if you're one of those people who has what it takes, grab your goggles and
driving gloves, and be sure to top-off those dashpots! It's time to have some
fun!!

See you on the road......

Scott Helms

www.britishcarweek.org

Order your British Car Week stickers while supplies last
http://users.arczip.com/zntech/logo.html