A B # 2683 could Destroy our Hobby(Vintage Auto Collecting and

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: A B # 2683 could Destroy our Hobby(Vintage Auto Collecting and
From: Aeseeyou@aol.com
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2004 14:49:23 EST
Friends of Vintage Auto Restoration, Collecting and/or Racing... (This is a
long email but important to Auto Hobbyists)
Here in California we're facing a real crisis to our Hobby. It seems that
there are some misinformed people with the power to damage if not Destroy our
beloved Hobby and Sport. Currently there is a bill in the assembly and IF it
(AB#
2683) passes, we'd lose a great many of our wonderful old (Vintage) cars here
in California. Why? Because it would force those of us with pre-1976 cars to
comply with all of the requirements of this bill. In essence it would make our
hobby prohibitive in terms of the amount of money required to comply with all
of the Emissions Testing & Requirements. Passage of this bill would mandate
us to subject our LBC's to undergo these expensive emission tests and if the
vehicle being tested didn't pass, well....you couldn't license it! At first I
was reluctant to post this sample letter and email but (because of) the dire
straits that this Bill would place our Hobby IF it passes, makes it essential
that all of us here in California who consider our pre-1976 cars too important
not defend, do all we can to educate and inform these misinformed people
behind this dangerous bill that we do care about our environment, but the truth
is
our cars aren't the problem. We must defeat this Bill before it Destroys our
Hobby/Sport! Thanks for your patient indulgence, one more thing, Please send
the following snail-mail or email to your Senator/Representative/Delegate!!
Thanks,
Albert Escalante
Central Coast British Car Club (California)
*******************************
Dear (Senator/Representative/Delegate)___________,
My Name is ____________, I am a Vintage car hobbits (or member of a British
car club) and I am writing to urge you to oppose A B 2683 that California State
Assemblywoman Sally Lieber (D-District 22) recently introduced.  If AB 2683
passes it would repeal the current rolling emissions test exemptions for
vehicles 30 years old and older. It would replace the current exemption and
replace
it with a provision requiring permanent testing of all pre-1976 vehicles.
Legislators and regulars are feeling the heat from a failed effort to meet air
quality goals and are looking for a convenient scapegoat. Please don't let them
destroy our Hobby/Sport! We keep many other Business's going as well with our
purchases, and we help the economy, not hurt it. Just one look at our cars will
show anyone just how much money our sport generates. As an active car
enthusiast I know that most classic vehicles are well maintained and
infrequently
driven. This means there is minimal impact of vehicles 30-years old and older
on
vehicle emissions and air quality. These vehicles constitute a small portion
of the overall vehicle population and are a poor source from which to look for
emissions reduction.
Please help the auto enthusiast community to continue to enjoy our hobby by
voting to stop this A.B. #2683.
Sincerely,
_________________
(your name)
_________________
(your address)
SAMPLE EMAIL
TO: (Your State Legislator b to find yours call 916-445-4311 or at
www.sen.ca.gov)
SUBJECT: AB #2683
(Date)
Dear (Senator/Representative/Delegate)___________,

My Name is ____________, I am a Vintage Car Hobbyist or member of a British
car club. I am writing to urge you to oppose A B 2683. This bill would repeal
the current rolling emissions test exemptions for vehicles 30 years old &
older. It replaces the current exemption & replaces it with a provision
requiring
permanent testing of all pre-1976 vehicles. As an active Vintage car enthusiast
I know that most classic vehicles are well maintained and infrequently
driven. This means there is minimal impact of vehicles 30-years old and older
on
vehicle emissions and air quality. These vehicles constitute a small portion of
the overall vehicle population and are a poor source from which to look for
emissions reduction. Please help the auto enthusiast community to continue to
enjoy our hobby by voting to stop AB#2683.
Sincerely,
(Your name)
(Your POSTAL address)