Re: Australian F1 Grand Prix

To: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Australian F1 Grand Prix
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 16:31:42 +1030
Rick Lindsay wrote:

> Eric and I 'make you all proud' as we suffer
> watching georgeous women, endure beautiful
> weather and tend to hot, screaming F1 cars!
> Hey, someone's gotta do it!

AND we happened to see a couple of MGs on the track during the "Historic
Demonstration" events - so it was not a complete loss :-)

Yes, Rick should just about be home by now and as it turned out we just
happened to be working on adjoining turns.  Rick was on turn 15 and I
was on turn 16 (his a lefthand corner and mine a righthand corner onto
the start/finish straight).

Nothing too dramatic during the F1 race itself, except the Ferraris
lapping the whole field even while completing three pitstops (I think
they got out, had a shower and a cappucino, serviced the car, then continued).

Of course, as all international visitors seem to, Rick enjoyed our V8
supercars... but I will let him tell you about those.  Pity there wasn't
more MG action to crow about but I have a serious MG race coming up in
three weeks so I will report on that and hopefully have a few photos to share.

My feet and legs hurt; I got sunburned; I am hoarse from barking
instructions over the noise of racecars; and my ears are still ringing.
Oh yeah - I am tired from the early mornings and late nights "catching
up" with friends.

I think I must have had a good time.  I didn't manage to corrupt Rick or
his new-Kiwi (ex-Okie) friend, Rod.  I musn't have tried hard enough.
Oh yeah - just to continue the coincidences, Rod was working in my
sector and I bumped into him again on the Monday before flying out,
wandering around Melbourne (only a few million people in town and I bump
into Rod).

Now I have to prepare my car for racing this weekend!

--
Eric
'68 MGB MkII