Re: oil cap

To: MonteMorris <mmorris@nemr.net>
Subject: Re: oil cap
From: Paul Root <proot@iaces.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 12:49:17 -0600
You always need two pathes for air in/out of the crankcase. The tappet
cover is one. The vent in the valve cover is the second. If you block
the vent, then you need a vented cap.

I'd probably run a hose from the tappet cover pipe to the back of the
air cleaner of the front carb.

Or, wait, what kind of carbs do you have on this engine? If HIF, then
get a plastic splitter (napa, $3-5) and run the tappet cover to the
carbs.

 From the look of the Moss catalog, pre-PVC engines had the valve cover
pipe running to the air cleaners, a non vented cap and a trailing hose
on the tappet cover.

With the PVC valve. The tappet goes to the PVC and the oil cap is vented.

You probably currently have the PVC, a non-vented cap, and the valve
cover blocked off. That's not good.

I just read Paul Hunt's post. And, of course, that makes sense.

Paul.