Re: Has this ever happened to any one on the list?

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Has this ever happened to any one on the list?
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 12:48:30 -0800
I suppose the stop cap/sleeve/whatever you want to call it could have
vibrated loose, allowing the dipstick to slide down. But, I can't conceive
of how it (1) got grabbed by the crank (it's a straight strip of metal, with
nothing to grab), or (2) why the crank didn't have enough torque to just
mangle/shred it. Anyway, I would think you could jam the dipstick down until
the pull loop stopped it, without contacting the crank -- the tip would just
slide across the bottom of the oil pan as the stick bent (if it didn't bend
it would stop right there, and it would only bend if someone were pushing on
it). If the shaft contacted the crank I would think the crank would just
beat it into submission. But apparently something happened. I would almost
suspect sabotage...?

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149