Hello again, list- I Need Laycock OD Advice

To: MG Mail List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Hello again, list- I Need Laycock OD Advice
From: John Di Fede <difejo@optonline.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 20:43:57 -0800
Hello all,

It's been a while since I've been on this list, probably going on 2 1/2 years.
I hope all are well.

Is Barney Gaylord out there?

I hope someone can help me with this LH overdrive question.  Yesterday I set
out to drain my tranny and OD to correct a sluggish shifting condition I had at
the end of last season.  Since I hadn't performed any maintenance on my trans
in a dogs age, I thought that a cleaning of my OD sump screen was all I needed
to do.  Well I pulled the OD sump and found a 1 inch piece of friction material
in the sump.  According to my shop manuals, it looks to be a piece of the
friction material which came away from the sliding clutch within the OD.  It
has a curved shape and a hole where it was riveted to the sliding clutch.

Ok my first thought was to disassemble the OD and find someone to reline the
clutch.  My second thought was damn, I have to pull the engine and trans to get
to the OD!!!!  Oh #%^&*@.

So what if I don't do anything and continue to drive the car, can I do any
additional damage?  Can anyone suggest where I might get a relined OD clutch.
What about rebuilding the OD?  How difficult to do and are special tools
required?   Or is it best to pay the money and get a rebuilt unit.  There is a
place nearby in Connecticut, Quantum Mechanics which specializes in English
transmission and OD repair.

Any and all advice will be appreciated!

John Di Fede
Hopewell Junction, NY  12533