conversions (duck and cover)

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: conversions (duck and cover)
From: Matt Trebelhorn <matt.lists@trebelhorn.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 08:43:27 -0500
I have, in the past, been mightily flamed on this list for raising the
topic of conversions (alternator, transmission engine...)  It is with
some trepidation that I raise this subject again.

In the new issue of Classic Autosport, there's a cover story on the
MGB.  There's a sidebar on modifications, and there's a section on
getting more power, and there's a sentence or two on engine
transplants... and a vague mention of a soon-to-be-released kit for
transplanting the Ford Zetec motor into the B.  (Also mentioned is a
kit for putting Miata running gear in a B; but that seems
counterintuitive.  Isn't there already an MGB-sized roadster that uses
Miata running gear? ;-)

Now, I really don't care what the purists out there think about these
kits; but if you'd really like to tell me that you think I'll burn in a
very hot place for talking about this... well, go ahead.  FWIW, I think
the Zetec kit is an interesting possibility -- a clean, fuel-efficient
little motor that puts out as much hp as the stock MGBv8s did, with a
World Rally Champ pedigree to boot.  But that's just me.

What I want to know is, who is putting the kit together?  Has anybody
seen a car so converted?  Anyone heard of this kit before?

Thanks,
Matt