Re: Rear wheel cylinder question

To: "Stephen West-Fisher" <steve@coastaldatasystems.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rear wheel cylinder question
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 12:28:20 -0000
Doesn't matter.  Unlike calipers where there is a cavity behind the piston
which will trap air bubbles, when the rear shoes are at rest the pistons are
pushed fully in and they are back-to-back just leaving a narrow channel
round the touching faces of the pistons and as such is little more than an
extension of the pipe, there is no cavity to trap air.  In all normal
circumstances when bleeding any air in the cylinder or from the lines
feeding it will get pushed round these channels and out of the bleeder.
Even the stroke of the brake pedal is more than sufficient to push any air
out, much more so any continuous bleeding method like the Gunsons EeziBleed.
Don't forget any air from the MC has to get pushed down (i.e. the vertical
drop from the MC to a bleed nipple) a much longer length of pipe to get to a
bleed nipple than there is inside the cylinder, and in my experience it is
much harder to get all the air out of the pipes feeding the front than the
rear.

PaulH.