Was: Red Warning Lite, Now: Tach Attack

To: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>, Aeseeyou@aol.com
Subject: Was: Red Warning Lite, Now: Tach Attack
From: Dan DiBiase <d_dibiase@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 07:52:50 -0800 (PST)
Ha, good point, Paul, I sometimes wish that my MG's only had speedo and
tacho... Other gauges can create only heartburn as they swivel around!
Well, maybe not the gas gauge.

My father recently pointed out an article in the NY Times regarding the
obsoleting of the tach by the proliferation of automatic transmissions.
This led to a discussion of uses of the tach - I DO use it to shift, even
though it is obvious aurally when the engine has reached a point where you
should probably shift. Or, perhaps I should say, I do glance at it just
before I shift, to confirm where the engine is revving... It's also
helpful to determine tire spin on slick surfaces. And, of course, on my
Audi it's fun to watch it drop 600 rpm when I shift into 6th gear from 5th
- and then watch the instantaneous gas mileage figure jump up!

Your tach is your friend!

--- Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> Never retro-fit an ammeter.  It introduces several more points for
> complete
> electrical failure and needs two long wires that carry all the
> electrical
> load except cranking.  If you really must have peace of mind then fit a
> voltmeter, but as John Twist says "in almost all circumstances the
> warning
> light will warn you of charge failure, go and buy some nice driving
> gloves
> instead".  But none of the warning light, ammeter or voltmeter will tell
> you
> if your car is going to start in the morning, and the gloves will keep
> your
> hands warm while you are waiting for the breakdown service.  *None* of
> them
> warn of cataclysmic failure of the charge until it has happened, and
> only
> the voltmeter will warn of a gradual loss.
>
> PaulH.

=====
Dan
The Garden State
'76 MGB Tourer - Driver - It's getting better all the time....
'65 MGB Tourer Project - Yep, still is....
'04 Audi A4 1.8T q MT-6 - quattro, baby!
NAMGBR #5-2328