RE: Starters etc.

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Starters etc.
From: "Dean T. Lake" <dtlake@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 08:40:14 -0500
I just put the Moss unit in.  It looked like a Honda starter to me, but
who knows what Toyota or other import starters look like?  The feature
that I associate with Honda starters is the exterior high grade plated
bolt that runs the length of the motor.  At least, the one I put on my
wife's  Civic 10 years ago had one just like it.

By the way, the starter is very nice.  As Paul H. recommended last week,
this is a very easy upgrade to be happy with.  The GT's
ten-point-something to one compression ratio must have been putting far
more stress on the factory unit than I ever realized.  This new unit
turns over oh so much better.  It kind of makes me wonder if I shouldn't
purposely neglect choke for a few seconds to allow the oil pressure to
build up on start - that's how much faster it achieves ignition.

One oddity about the adapter:  the adapter's bolt holes for mounting to
the starter are in a radial pattern.  This allows you to incrementally
orient the starter relative to the ears by simply removing two allen
head bolts and turning the adapter.  The way it came in the box, the
adapter was aligned such that there would be no access to the lower
mounting bolt ear.  A proper bolt head would not even squeeze in there.
It could have been a simple oversight.

The wiring was as easy as could be and required no splicing.  At first
it looked like the main positive lead would not reach, but it did so in
the end with some persuasion.  They do include an ignition switch
terminal adapter that might be needed for some applications.

In any case, if you get one of these mal-aligned adapters, First: don't
panic!  Second: just align the adapter to suit.

Dean
'74 B-GT (Chrome Bumpered)