Re: not a request for the purists in the group : )

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: not a request for the purists in the group : )
From: Charles & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 12:07:01 -0600
  See below:

Namgar Reprints wrote:
> CR:
>
> You'd better think some of those dynamics over again.  I envision a
> front wheel spinning up the hub loads the same sides of the splines as
> putting on the brakes does.

    By golly, you're right.  Senior moment. ;^)  Look at force
directions in various coast modes, tho.  Lessee, when could the hub try
to overrun the wheel?

> Any end play loading of the wheel is taken by the hub or nut.  Radial
> motion is also handled by the hub or nut.  If it weren't that way the
> radial motion would hammer those sharp splines edges flat.

   What I was thinking about here is in the way of various vector forces
on the splines that results in force on the bearings, hub and nut.
One's precession (right term?) due to wheels being out of true.

> <<<Snip>>>
> There's movement alright; if there wasn't, there'd be no need for
> splines. ;^)
> <<<snip>>>
> Whoa, the splines transfer the torque reaction of the brakes to the
> wheel at the front.  At the back they transfer the torque of the half
> shafts and the brakes.

   Sure, and if there were no splines the hub nuts would be spun off.
(Ask me how I know.) That's what I was trying to point out to you.  You
don't seem to want to believe that the wheels can move on the hubs.
Next time you clean the splines in prep to relubing them look and see if
there isn't wear on both sides.  Look at the direction of forces on the
splines between driving torque and braking at the rear, for instance.

   Cheers,

    CR