Re: SU Carb Availability and Leaded Petrol

To: Daybell7@aol.com
Subject: Re: SU Carb Availability and Leaded Petrol
From: Paul Root <proot@iaces.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 18:55:48 -0600
Daybell7@aol.com wrote:
> 1.  Is it still possible to find MGs in junk yards?  Are the SU carbs
> interchangable for a 68 MGB-GT?  I have that weber now.

Maybe in Florida.
Any SU HS4 or HIF setup from an MGB will work on any other MGB. HS4
would be 'correct' for a 68.

Ebay is a pretty good source. Be care and ask questions of the seller.
Don't believe that anything you get off Ebay will be in good working
order or properly rebuilt. A rebuild kit (including throttle shafts) is
about $100.

> 2.  Should I add lead to petrol?

Probably not needed. But there's a lot of debate on this.

Some will say that after a period of time, the valve seats have
leached in enough lead to 'harden' themselves (for lack of a better turn).

Others will say the your engine will be ruined without it.