Re: Oil Pressure Question

To: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>,
Subject: Re: Oil Pressure Question
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 10:13:30 -0700
Well, I put one on a new engine (less than 500 miles) just because I was
replacing the spring anyway. So far, it just gives me perhaps an increase
of 10 psi when it peaks, around 3000 rpm. Its normal now to see 75-80 psi
instead of 60-70 psi. I'm not sure if it will help at all if the bearings
are knackered. The relief valve just "releases" once a certain pressure is
achieved so if the bearings are shot,  I don't think that release pressure
is ever achieved. And it doesn't look like the relief spring effects the
idling oil pressure at all, which is why I replaced it on mine. So in
short, as near as I can tell, I don't think there is any real advantage of
uprated versus standard except maybe in high rpm racing applications.

On a related note, my very first MGB was a 1965, ran a maximum 40 psi at
speed and idled at 10. One of the first things I did was to replace the oil
pressure relief spring and as I recall, there either was no difference or a
very minimal difference (this was almost 30 years ago). The rod bearings
were shot and only the eventual engine overhaul was going to fix it. I
don't think an oil pressure relief spring or an uprated one will solve or
mask the problem at all.

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B