Re: maintainance question diff and tranny lubricant

To: Pointparty@aol.com
Subject: Re: maintainance question diff and tranny lubricant
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2004 16:31:38 -0600
A check in the Bentley manual (which includes the Driver's Handbooks and
Official MGB Workshop Manual) does show that no lubricant change is
mentioned. But it also looks like the typical BMC maintenance schedule
ended at the annual, 12k mile schedule in the Driver's Handbooks. The
Workshop Manual only cites cleaning the o/d filter at 24k miles but nothing
about renewing the oil.

The Haynes manual however has both oil changes listed as a 24,000/ 2 year
maintenance items. I suppose neither one is a critical matter since
contamination is not a factor. However, I do change my transmission oil
every couple of years and I even change my differential oil about every
decade or thereabouts. Its still just good maintenance and decreases the
likelihood of some unexpected problem down the road.

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B