Re: Floorboard treatment

To: "Howard Battan" <battanhr@comcast.net>, "'Mgs'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Floorboard treatment
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@MGAguru.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 15:22:40 -0500
At 11:44 AM 4/16/04 -0700, Howard Battan wrote:
>Here's another question: I will be replacing the floorboards in my '57
>MGA. What have you found to be a good paint or treatment for them to make
>them hold up well?

Penta wood preservative (or maybe any equivelant).  Brush on and let
dry.  Especially try to fill the edge grain, over and over.  Do several
coats (over several days maybe) until it won't take any more and starts to
look a little glossy.  Allow to dry, and paint with a couple coats of black
enamel.

When installing, caulk underneath to seal on the mounting rails.  Also good
to caulk around the edges to fill the side gaps, especially for the
horizontal boards.  That keeps water out of the groove to keep it from
rusting the frame and tunnel.

Mine have been in there for 18 years and 190,000 miles, and they look like
the day they were installed, and they have been plenty wet, plenty often.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com