Re: Windshield buffing

To: smarc@abs.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Windshield buffing
From: ATWEDITOR@aol.com
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 23:23:59 EDT
In a message dated 4/22/2004 8:16:49 PM Eastern Standard Time, smarc@abs.net
writes:
Any further info, experiences, advice, etc, WRT polishing the glass? It's an
interesting idea...
All I can do is tell you what I did with my '72 roadster.  The car apparently
had spent a lot of time in a sandy, maybe desert, environment, which meant
the body was aces but the windshield was highly pitted.  When driving into the
sun it was like looking into a star field near the center of the galaxy.  I
took it to one of these "ding and scratch" places and he looked at it, shook
his
head and passed on the project.
I had nothing to lose and a spare night in the garage, so I took Brasso--I'm
ex-Army--and a cotton buffer head and just worked it back and forth for a
while, keeping it damp, not wet.  The surface of the glass seemed to have more
shine, but I couldn't tell about the pits until I drove into the sun again, and
found that I could see MUCH better.  I was very surprised, quite frankly.  As
far as I know, as long as you make sure it is just the buffer head on the
glass and not a hard surface, the glass will not be gouged or scratched; it's
very hard.  When I got my '72 GT, it had the same geographic heritage as the
roadster but the windshield wasn't all that bad, but I did the buff treatment
anyway and it got better.
There are scratch removal kits available, but these are more oriented towards
things like wiper blade gouges, not overall clarity.
One more thing about the wipers.  They're sort of like the turn signal in the
electrical circuit.  If the generator is putting out a low current--say, at
idle--and the battery is not super strong, the turn signals will blink slowly
and the wipers will be very weak in their motion.  A little more
current--and/or lubrication--will get them moving faster, given the internals
of the system
are OK.

That's my 2 cents.

Jay Donoghue