MGA rear valence shape?

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>, <mgatwincam@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: MGA rear valence shape?
From: "Howard Battan" <battanhr@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 10:29:13 -0700
Here's a question to those knowledgeable about MGAs. I'm repairing the
body on my 57 roadster, and I need to take care of the rear body panel
(called the "rear valence" in the Moss catalog). Mine has been severely
mangled at some time in the past, as I found out when I removed about 5
lbs of Bondo from it during the prep work. It's bent up badly enough
that I can't determine the real contour at the bottom edge - the part
mostly hidden by the rear bumper. If I put a straightedge on top of the
bumper mounting posts, should the valence touch the straightedge across
the full width of the car (in other words, is it straight), or should
the valence bow out slightly in the center? If it bows, about how much
of a bow is there.

Thanks

Howard Battan
Auburn, WA