Fuel delivery problem - SOLVED

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Fuel delivery problem - SOLVED
From: Tab Julius <tab@penworks.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 21:34:58 -0400
As some may recall, I posted last year, vexed by an intermittent drop in
engine power that seemed to bear no relationship to angle of drive
(flat/uphill/downhill), speed, temperature, fuel level, etc.  The gathering
consensus was a lack of fuel, possibly from a clog SOMEWHERE.  A secondary
opinion was that it might be electrical.

At any rate, I decided to deal with the issue come spring (now it's
springtime!).  Since the car is a '78 and has a rebuilt, higher performance
engine but still the original fuel pump, I decided to replace the pump, on
the basis that it might not be keeping up with the engine and at any rate,
after 25 yrs, the pump's probably going to bite the dust eventually (and
predictably at the most inconvenient time).  It'd be a safe thing to do,
probably needed anyway, and if it worked, it'd save me the trouble of
diagnosing the fuel line.

I'm happy to say that in fact, that was the source of the problem - I
haven't had a fuel delivery problem since.  I haven't taken the car up to
85 mph yet, but even so, I would have seen the issue by now based if the
pump wasn't the problem, so I'm pretty (hopefully) confident it's resolved.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

- Tab