Re: MGB Electrics........

To: shop@ferndownelectrical.ath.cx
Subject: Re: MGB Electrics........
From: Aeseeyou@aol.com
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 15:26:02 EDT
In a message dated 4/28/2004 3:18:06 AM Pacific Standard Time,
shop@ferndownelectrical.ath.cx writes:
Hi Guys....
I've been following the list for a while now and one question that I don't
think has been addressed is the general "weakness" of the electrical system...
I have a '78 MGB Roadster V8 Conversion and the electrics, particularly
lights, gauges and indicator.... When I'm at the lights the indicators come to
stop.... When I rev a little they start up again... Is this a general problem
of
the car or just mine? How can I solve it?

Thanks for your help!!
-----------------------------
Darren,
Wow! it seems that you were unlucky and happened to get one of the rare MGB's
that left the MG factory with a faulty electrical system. I've heard some
very disheartening stories of people being left stranded, switches that stop
working altogether, wiring that gets hot and burns up the entire loom (made out
of
"fire proof" cotton material!)  In fact, Joseph Lucas, who was the person
responsible for the ultra modern electrical system employed by most British
cars
was imortalised by the title "Prince of Darkness" He also branched off into
household        appliances and such, they say his refrigerators are the reason
that the British people drink their beer warm!  8^)........ Or else your
electrical system could have been compromised when they did the V-8 conversion
on
your car. Either way, you should always wear or carry a set of comfortable
shoes with you whenever you take your car for a drive. Because you never know
when
you'll end up walking home or to the nearest garage or auto repair/towing
service.
Albert Escalante
1978 MGB & 1977 Jaguar XJ6-L
Central Coast British Car Club (Ca.)