Re: Fw: MGA Wood steering wheel

To: Mike Lempert <mike@lempertgroup.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fw: MGA Wood steering wheel
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Sat, 01 May 2004 19:47:31 -0500
Mike Lempert wrote:

>>Hello listers.  I'm an MG owner, but haven't been on this list for years.
>>The subject of  this post reminded me, so I've re-subscribed.
>>
>>I'm now a maker of classic wood steering wheels.  After retiring from my
>>technology career I decided to combine interests - British cars and
>>woodworking.  I have an original MGA optional wood steering wheel here for
>>restoration.  I'm in need of some information and am hoping some people on
>>this list might be able to help.
>>
>>Unfortunately,  the wood currently on the wheel is in poor shape and also
>>appears to be non-original.  The owner does not think it's original
>
> either.
>
>>Does anyone know what species of wood was used on these wheels ?  Do you
>>know of any pictures available that would provide me with a clear view of
>>the rim shape ?
>>
>>I'm interested in doing the rebuild properly.  I also plan to reproduce
>
> the
>
>>wheel and want to be confident of its correctness.
>>
>>Thanks in advance.

Here are digital shots I just took for you of the wood wheel that came
with my 1956 MGA. When I sold it, I moved it onto the Mini I was racing
then (60's). When I sold that and moved back to the States, I brought it
with me. It has been hanging in the garage ever since.

The wood is all dried out now so it's a bit hard to see the
configuration. it's smooth rounded on the front side and has notches in
the rear side.

http://www.theluggage.net/wheel01.jpg

http://www.theluggage.net/wheel02.jpg

http://www.theluggage.net/wheel03.jpg