Re: Petrol Pricing (and Gas Wars)

To: mghirsch@netzero.net
Subject: Re: Petrol Pricing (and Gas Wars)
From: Aeseeyou@aol.com
Date: Sat, 8 May 2004 10:39:45 EDT
Hi,
I know that this is going to reflect my age, but does anyone else remember
when there used to actually be "Gas Wars"? No, not like the bloody ones that
are
being fought today where people are dying. But ones where the gas stations
would actually lower their prices five or ten cents to entice people into their
station instead going across the street or to another gas station. I can also
remember when the various gas stations would undercut their prices so much
that they wouldn't or couldn't afford to stay open so they'd just put up a sign
that said "Gone Fishing" We'll reopen when we can afford to sell our gas
again!" Then one by one the prices would start to stabilize again and we'd go
back
to having to pay the outrageous amounts like 45 or 55 cents a gallon for leaded
Ethyl premium and 35 cents for leaded regular! Plus the attendants would
check all your fluid levels (except the rear end, of course!) and they'd smile
as
they washed your windows checked your tires for air pressure brought your dip
stick up to your drivers window to show you your engine oil level and or color
of the oil...plus the bathrooms were always open and as clean as the one at
your house! That all changed after the oil embargo of 1973 when we had to
ration gas and you could only buy gas on the day of your color for either odd
or
even designations! Remember the flags that the gas stations would fly to
indicate which group could buy gas on that day?
Albert Escalante, Editor
"THE CLEAR HOOTER"
www.ccbcc.org