Re: Petrol Pricing (and Gas Wars) a little reminiscing ...

To: "mgs" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Petrol Pricing (and Gas Wars) a little reminiscing ...
From: "Dave Wood" <dwood143@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 8 May 2004 11:27:36 -0700
Larry,

I started driving in 1957 on my 15th birthday (actually somewhat before that
but legally in 1957) and the price of gas was 20 to 25 cents per galleon.
The difference between then and now is that then there were actually
different petroleum companies who competed with each other and many, if not
most of the service stations when not company owned.  Now, that is not at
all the case, the company stations force out the few remaining private
owners and the gasoline that we buy under fewer and fewer different brand
names comes out of the same barrel.  OPEC isn't the only one who is
controlling prices or trying to, how about Shell buying out Texaco or should
I say Chevron/Texaco.  You and I don't stand a chance at getting anything
but corporate controlled gasoline prices at the pump.  The fact that
gasoline prices are pretty cheap in the U.S. compared to prices in Europe
and elsewhere doesn't alter the fact that we are getting gouged each time
there is any pretence of international crises.

Sorry about the rant.

Dave 72 B