Re: Steering Column Help

To: cen70394@centurytel.net
Subject: Re: Steering Column Help
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 13:06:34 -0400
Barry,
   You can make a new felt from scraps around the house, or an old
fedora.  There's a trick that piano mechanics use, called "pricking the
felt"  (at least that the term in this area)   in which they use a tool
with pointed metal prickers to poke and pull the felt, thus bulking it up
a bit.  I suppose it's not unlike knurling a piece of metal to reduce its
inner diameter.   A quarter inch of movement is a lot to ask this trick
to accomplish, but you could try it, and could add another wrap of felt
to what is already there.  Keep it well oiled.
Bob

On Tue, 11 May 2004 09:38:33 -0500 "Barry" <cen70394@centurytel.net>
writes:
> Thanks in advance.  I have a '73 B with a worn (mild term) upper
> bushing in the steering column.  The bushing that is felt or something
in the
> older models.  I've taken the entire steering column off and tried to
see
> a way to repair the bushing, but can't figure how to repair/replace it.
 Is