Re: temp guage question

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: temp guage question
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 18:17:29 -0500
Paul Root wrote:

> I think you can just apply power to the gauge and it should register. If
> not, it's bad. I know that's true of the fuel gauge.
>
> If that works, move on to the wiring. Apply power at the sender end
> (by-pass the sender).
>
> If that works, it's the sender, if not, bad wiring.

BMC/BMH Temp gauge and fuel gauge run off a "voltage stabilizer" thingy.
Long periods of 12 volts will damage the gauges and also cause them to
read high.

The stabilizers can fail either always open (no readings) or always
closed (read high and eventually damage the gauge).

I prefer the solid-state stabilizers sold on eBay.

-Rock    http://www.rocky-frisco.com
--
JJ Cale Live CD and video: http://www.rocky-frisco.com/calelive.htm
The Wednesday Night Science Project: http://www.wednitesciproj.us