Re: British DVDs (OT)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: British DVDs (OT)
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 10:43:47 -0500
Derek Gladding wrote:

 > On Tuesday 18 May 2004 04:24 pm, Rocky Frisco wrote:
 >

 >> Even worse! My nearly $300 DVD player for my Dell Laptop allows you
 >> to change the region just five times and then it permanently sticks
 >> on the last one selected. Does that stink or what?
 >

 > There are hacked versions of the firmware available for most computer
DVD players that will make them region-free. Google for "DVD firmware".
 > If it the player software (rather than the drive itself) that's
region-locked, there are hacks available for that as well.
 > Warning: if you get a bad one, you may lose access to your DVD player
completely. However, I've re-flashed all of mine without any problems
(so far).

If Dell are telling the truth, this one is built-in to the drive itself
and can't be hacked.

The front plate of the drive fell off and it wouldn't work without it. I
inspected the drive with an optivisor magnifier and discovered that the
drive front plate had been damaged and only two of the plastic locating
and locking tabs were still intact. Dell won't sell the plate
separately, so I have to be very careful using it.

-Rock    http://www.rocky-frisco.com
--
JJ Cale Live CD and video: http://www.rocky-frisco.com/calelive.htm
The Wednesday Night Science Project: http://www.wednitesciproj.us