RE: leaky master cylinder(s)

To: "'Don Vierling'" <Don.Vierling@stago-us.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: leaky master cylinder(s)
From: "James Nazarian" <jhn3@uakron.edu>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 23:51:53 -0400
The leak often runs down the brake pedal regardless of the culprit.  A good
check is to see which reservoir is losing fluid.  Once that is determined,
pull the pedal cover off and make sure that the fluid is infact coming out
the boot.  If you have been doing work in this area the fittings will
sometimes start to leak and it will still land on your feet.

I don't have a lot of experience with the RBBs but I'll relay my advice for
the dual circuit CBBs.  I'm sure someone will offer more concise advice
about the RBBs.

Because of the way the CBB brake MC wears, it doesn't lend itself well to
rebuilds, my experience is that the original goes for about 70k miles
regardless of the time span.  Each time you rebuild it it will last less and
less time.  If this is the first time, you might get a few months before it
leaks again.  That being said, if you are returning a dormant car to service
the seals might just be dried out.  If that is the case it is worth a
rebuild because it is a cheap attempt, but if it starts leaking again it
needs to be replaced or resleaved.

James Nazarian
71 MGBGT V8
71 MGB Tourer