SU H4 fast idle setting

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: SU H4 fast idle setting
From: "Mark L. Lambert" <markl@tibco.com>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 15:17:32 -0700
I'm having problems getting the fast idle to work properly on my SU
H4s.  Initially I thought the idle cam setting was wrong -- the linkage was
attached to the #3 hole, which caused the idle screw to hit the cam at the
top of its rise and not change the idle when the choke engaged and moved
the cam.  I've moved the linkage down to the #2 hole.  That has given the
screw more time on the cam's rise, but requires that it be turned almost to
the bottom of its travel (spring squashed completely) in order to touch the
cam when the choke is at rest.  Even with this change, pulling the choke
out, while dropping the jets just fine, still doesn't seem to do that much
to the idle.  I'm assuming it needs to be around 1400-1600 RPM almost
immediately, and it just ain't happening.  One possible culprit: the link
rod connecting the cam and the choke lever has some play in it.  I'm
wondering whether the attachment hole on the choke lever has worn, causing
the play (hard to see without taking lots of stuff apart).  Is this a
typical problem, or is there something else I'm missing?  Everything else
on the carbs is just dandy; it's just the fast idle that's giving me fits.

thanks for any help,

markl

1962 MGA 1600 Mk-II