RE: steering rack alignment (now shock and camber shimming)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: steering rack alignment (now shock and camber shimming)
From: "Paul M." <rowman22001@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 09:55:28 -0700 (PDT)
--- James Nazarian <jhn3@uakron.edu> wrote:
> If I were starting over I would go after all of
> the understeer that is designed into the rear end.
> The lack of a rear bar with the above setup
> definitely makes the understeer more prevalent

This gets to the heart of something that I am very
interested in.  First of all, when my 1971 MGB was
stock, it was really quite balanced - it didn't push
like a pig at all.  At the limit of adhesion it broke
away in a very balanced and controlled fashion.  In
fact, the car was very neutral under almost all
conditions unless I encountered bumpy pavement
mid-corner, and then the rear end would get twitchy
and want to step out.  But that's a live axle thing,
and there's not too much you can do about it, so all
in all, I found the car quite balanced.

I see Moss sells the "Ron Hopkinson" anti-roll bar
set, which claims to increase roll stiffness without
increasing understeer, but I find it odd that the hot
ticket with the vintage racing MGB crowd seems to be a
7/8" or even 1" front bar with NO rear bar whatsoever.
 In my mind, if I put a 7/8" front bar on my
currently-well-balanced MGB and no rear bar, it would
probably start pushing pretty noticeably...

Granted, the race cars have more negative camber,
which sticks the front end more, but I doubt it's THAT
much negative, because most of them run the modified
swivel axles that lower the car without changing the
suspension geometry.

Anyone out there have a setup that they really like?
I need more roll stiffness in the front, that's for
sure, but I'm a bit at a loss on how to get it without
screwing up the balance, and I don't have the money to
try a bunch of different bar combinations until I get
it right.

=====
Paul Misencik - 1971 MGB - www.sopwithracing.com

THE CAROLINA TROPHY - 2005