RE: White-Pink wire meltdown?

To: "Steve Gorr" <sgorr2@comcast.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: White-Pink wire meltdown?
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 17:14:36 -0700
Steve:

That wire is the equivalent of a ballast resistor on other cars.  When
the engine is running this wire supplies the + voltage to the coil.  The
length of the wire gives it a high resistance, so lowering the operating
voltage to the coil.

The + side of the coil will have two feeds, this pink one (ballasted)
and one that comes from the starter solenoid which provides full battery
voltage to the coil during cranking.

If the pink wire is getting hot, that would indicate either an incorrect
coil which is drawing too much current, or perhaps the starter switched
feed to the coil may have fallen off the starter solenoid and is
grounding against the chassis or engine.

Hope this helps.

Kelvin.