Re: Use of ATF in place of Dashpot oil in Z-S carb.

To: paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk
Subject: Re: Use of ATF in place of Dashpot oil in Z-S carb.
From: Aeseeyou@aol.com
Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 11:38:57 EDT
Paul,
When you responded with the following words" I'm sure Budweiser would have
been better than nothing (and preferable to drinking it), even more sure that
ATF is.  But whether ATF is better, worse, or of little detectable difference
engine oil is another matter :o)....." I don't know if you missed the meaning
of my original message. That was that IF you find yourself in need of some
lubricant for the damper in the dashpot of your Zenith Stromberg carburetor you
can use ATF (automatic transmission fluid) or any lubricant that is light
weight, that is, DON'T use STP, Engine Honey or any lubricant that's nearer to
grease than oil in viscosity. Also of question is whether or not a straight oil
(non-detergent) is better than an oil with high detergent properties. When I
was a wee lad of 16 or 17 I bought a 1958 Austin-Healey Sprite Bugeye...My
first
car and being an English product I had a heck of a time trying to figure out
why it reached a point where it became hard to keep running after I'd had it
for a couple of months, until a chap with a Triumph Bonneville Motorcycle told
me about a magic product that would fix my  "smiling Frog's" (A-H Sprite)
problems. That product was my mom's sewing machine oil! Yes, a few magic
squirts
from that green can in each carb's damper and like magic the little car was
running as smooth as a "sewing machine" once again. Oh, why was I such a dolt
sell that beautiful little car to buy a 1954 Plymouth Station wagon so I could
carry my surfboard AND with the curtains of the little Green station wagon
pulled closed I had myself an instant apartment to explore the sweet mysteries
of youth (sex!) But it was later that I discovered the error and folly of my
ways, in other words I should have kept the Bugeye! Because with the innocence
of my sweet youth gone and the gross reality of adulthood looming in my path I
would discover that the Bugeye's bucket seats were actually a great
contraceptive method(!) being nearly impossible for two people to do "the deed"
twixt
the dash and the seats although if I slid the seats forward on their tracks and
used the boot area that was accessible simply by reaching into the recess
behind the bucket seats past the small package tray area and into the dark
void.....But all thats a long round about way from anything having to do with
whether
Budweiser beer is as good as ATF, except for one thing you CAN drink the
Budweiser something that I wouldn't advise you try with either ATF or engine
oil,
both petroleum products being quite dangerous to consume!!
Cheers,
Albert Escalante 1978 MGB in Leyland or Glacier white w/ Black interior,
tonneau & hood.                                  ,,,,,,.