Fuel charge issue

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Fuel charge issue
From: "Rick Lindsay" <rick@stoolhead.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 8:48:23 -0500
Hello Friends,
My '76 Midget has the Weber DGV conversion, done
by the PO.  It looks to be an older conversion.
I have a strange phenominon occuring and I would
like to get your opinions.

First of all the DGV is a progressive carb.  That
is, the second choke opens 'progressively' after
the first choke.  The first is 32mm diameter and
the second is 36mm diameter.  Both barrels feed
a common area of the manifold but with the
secondary further from the engine and closer to
the runners for cylinders #1 and #4.

My car is running WAY too rich, across the engine
speed band.  When I pull the plugs, the #2 and #3 are a nice, light brown
color.  The #1 and #4
plugs are black and sooty.  The car also puffs
black smoke and misses at idle.  At higher RPMs
it smokes [black] but doesn't miss [now that I
have rebuilt the ignition].

I have ordered a rebuild kit for the DGV as it
looks to need a good clean-up.  I will rebuild it
and readjust it.  I suspect that the float level
is set wrong allowing the secondary to flood
liquid fuel that preferentially travels into
the outer runners, as they are closest to the
secondary choke.

Please share your opinions; especially the ones
that don't include "get rid of that Weber". :-]

Best,

Rick