Overheating: Ethylene Glycol Toxicity in Pets

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Overheating: Ethylene Glycol Toxicity in Pets
From: William T Snyder <wtsnyder@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 17:28:17 -0400
Hello all. I am usually silent on the list unless I'm asking a question
or need help due to my limited MG knowledge. I am, however, qualified to
give my 2 cents worth on this subject since I have been a veterinarian
for 22 years.

Ethylene glycol toxicity (antifreeze ingredient) is a common problem in
pets, usually due to accidental exposure, but some times from malicious
poisoning. One teaspoon of antifreeze concentrate is enough to kill a 50
lb dog and any cat. Symptoms of ingestion begin within one hour when the
pet goes through a phase that looks very much like alcohol intoxication
(unsteady gait, staggering). In many cases these signs disappear within
3-4 hours and the animal is assymptomatic for 1-3 days. Then signs of
inappetance, nausea, vomiting, and depression begin to surface. These
latter signs are due to kidney failure. Ethylene glycol is rapidly
metabolized in the liver to glycoaldehyde, glycolic acid, glyoxalic acid
and oxalic acid. These products result in severe metabolic acidosis and
permanent renal epithelial damage.

Most victims present to my hospital during the second phase. At that
stage, no amount of medication or supportive care will save the pet. They
essentially need new kidneys or dialysis...........out of reach for most
normal folks.

If you have a pet that you SEE ingest antifreeze, the best course of
action is to immediately induce vomiting using either hydrogen peroxide
(1 tsp by mouth every 5 minutes until vomiting occurs), or syrup of
ipecac (follow label directions for a child). The old timey treatment for
the toxin is to use grain alcohol intravenously (talk about a real
drunk!) as ethanol competes with ethylene glycol for binding sites. To be
successful, this treatment must be begun during the first 3-6 hours after
ingestion. There is a new drug for the treatment of this malady,
Fomepizole (4-methyl pyrazole). Injections of this drug are given at 0,
12, and 24 hours beginning as early as possible after diagnosis. This
drug costs about $200-600 per pet based on body weight, and effectiveness
is closely related to dose of toxin ingested and elapsed time after
ingestion. It is NOT EFFECTIVE in cats, only dogs.

In short, antifreeze poisoning is BAD NEWS. Most pets ingesting a
substantial dose die, with or without treatment. Those that survive fall
into a few categories 1)Those who vomit the toxin shortly after ingestion
or 2)those whose owners seek care early, choose a knowledgeable
veterinarian or emergency clinic, and have deep pockets. Average hospital
stay is 3-5 days, most with intensive nursing care and fluid therapy.

What can you do?
1. Prevent exposure by using low toxicity coolant which usually contains
propylene glycol (almost as good a coolant and much less toxic). Examples
are Prestone Low-Tox.
2. Immediately dilute and wash away coolant spills. The taste is slightly
sweet and attractive to pets and wildlife.
3. Educate others: Unfortunately, every time a story on the dangers of
antifreeze runs in the local media, we have a rash of malicious
poisonings!

I guess that was a lot more than 2 cents worth...............sorry.

Bill Snyder, DVM
'66 MGB
'53 TD under construction