Re: Overdrive flakiness question

To: "Tab Julius" <tab@penworks.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Overdrive flakiness question
From: "Mike Janacek" <mjanacek@snet.net>
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2004 18:26:47 -0400
First the simple. Pop the cap and switch off the gear lever. There's a notch
toward the front of the cap you can use to prise it up. Disconnect the wires
from the switch (they're a friction fit) and use a ohm (continuity) meter to
check the switch.
Not so simple. On the top of the gearbox are two switches. One (toward the
right side as viewed from the drivers seat) is the reverse light switch. The
second one to the left of it is the switch which allows OD in 4th (or 3rd
and 4th in some car years). A tightening of this switch or removing a shim
may be required, or the switch could be going bad. The switches I believe
are identical, i.e., you can order the reverse one and use it for the OD.
This switch is not easy to get at, some listers have had to drop the rear
crossmember to get enough room.
There is also a possibility there's a break in the wire loom for the OD but
not probable.
Mike
'79B