sheetmetal protection

To: "'MG List'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: sheetmetal protection
From: "Howard Battan" <battanhr@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 12:29:05 -0700
Hi, all. I'm starting to put repair sheetmetal pieces back onto my '57
MGA, and need your help. The replacement pieces are all primered or
painted, but not too well, it seems. How should I treat these parts
before installing? Remove all paint/primer and treat as new metal? For
those parts that will not be finish painted after installation (rockers,
etc) and for the parts that will be hidden and unpaintable, should I
primer and finish paint them before installation? I don't want them to
rust away from the inside.

Thanks for your help.

Howard Battan
'57 MGA