Re: steering wheel

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: steering wheel
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2004 11:51:04 -0600
That is likely the early to mid 70s model. I bought mine used from Ebay.
Moss still sells them new for around $200. I like mine because I like wood
and it is very similar to the original steering wheel except for the wood
part.

However, the original lister had a Mark I B (66?) and that uses a different
steering wheel. The original steering wheel for those years was a spoked
type design. I have been somewhat skeptical of those after a friend's
steering wheel broke where the spokes connect to the rim - made me think
they were flimsy. Back then (mid 70s) my 65B had a really cool wood
steering wheel, one that I really miss. And my 67BGT has some aftermarket
leather rim wheel, probably a dealer installed item. So maybe a new repro
of the spoked steering wheel might be okay (more durable) and Moss also has
them for under $200 in last year's catalog. But I'd be a bit wary about an
old original used steering wheel as a replacement on a Mark I (62-67).

As far as unbolt and bolt on - does that ever really happen? I have heard
too many stories about steering wheel removal. In fact, I bent the original
one on my 72B using a heavy duty gear puller to get it off. But it was
already shot anyway so no great loss.

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B